The automotive industry remains one of the largest employers in the country. Whether on the sales floor or as a service technician or behind-the-scenes, there are endless career possibilities within the industry. The right individual combined with the right education can result in a rewarding life-long career.
Careers in automobile dealers are a perfect fit for individuals who:
- have a commitment to lifelong learning … this is a growing & evolving field where keeping on top of the latest developments is key!
- have the desire & ability to work with a wide variety of people … no one demographic has the monopoly on automobile ownership and these careers involve working with all members of the community!
- have the drive and motivation to work both individually and as part of a team … automotive careers can take you as far as your personal work ethic is prepared to go!
Careers in automotive are ideal for new graduates just starting out, those looking for a change, and those who are driven by challenging opportunities.
Auto dealers across the province are always seeking qualified candidates with the education and hands-on experience to step into challenging & exciting roles within dealerships.
Wherever you are in the province, there is a college in your area with a variety of automotive programs that will provide you with both the in-class learning and on-the-job experience necessary to move seamlessly into your new career.
Automotive programs at Ontario colleges include:
- Automotive Service Technician
- Automotive Business
- Automotive Engineering & Technology
- Motive Power – Service & Management
- Motive Power Technician
- Motive Power Technician – Truck & Coach
- Motorcycle & Power Sport Vehicle Technician
TADA’s Career Start program works with all Ontario colleges with automotive programs to provide connections and networking opportunities with our dealer members and to encourage active involvement within the industry. These unique relationships allow automotive program graduates an inside track to career opportunities with some of the province’s most well-established and fastest growing dealerships.
- Algonquin College – Ottawa
- Cambrian College – Sudbury
- Centennial College – Toronto
- Conestoga College – Kitchener/Waterloo, Guelph
- Confederation College – Thunder Bay
- Durham College – Whitby, Oshawa
- Georgian College - Barrie, Orillia
- Loyalist College – Belleville
- Mohawk College – Hamilton
- Niagara College – Niagara on the Lake, Welland
- Northern College – Timmins
- Sault College – Sault St. Marie
- St. Clair College – Windsor
- St. Lawrence College – Brockville, Cornwall
College’s automotive program pages
The Trillium Automobile Dealers Association (TADA) has a commitment to collaborate with educational institutions, to help consult and design curriculum that is current, relevant and ensures that the best qualified graduates. We have developed tools and materials to promote careers in the automotive industry to ensure quality candidates.
TADA is over 100 years old and has developed a high standard of ethics that every dealer member must adhere to, in order to remain a member in good standing. All TADA members are also members in good standing with the Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council (OMVIC). TADA member dealers in Ontario employ over 47,000 quality people and generate $27-billion in retail sales.
TADA currently demonstrates our commitment to our dealer members and the province’s job-seekers through a dedicated Education Committee and a full-time Education Coordinator. Both work to create new relationships between colleges, the industry and school boards whose secondary school graduates will be the workforce of tomorrow.
For more information about TADA’s work with Ontario colleges, click here.
For more information about TADA’s work with school boards, click here.
The Next Steps
Whether you are a recent graduate or are currently part of the workforce, you can view TADA’s job posting board, which is updated daily with exciting new opportunities at dealerships across the province.
If you are a current college student, you can search the job posting board for co-op and apprenticeship opportunities. You can also visit your program office or career services team to explore these opportunities, get connected with local dealers who are recruiting and get valuable advice on perfecting your resume and cover letters.
If you have previously graduated from university or college, or are exploring post-secondary education for the first time, you can learn more about the automotive programs offered at Ontario colleges. You can also explore upcoming college events related to the automotive industry and career opportunities.
If you have any questions about next steps, Ontario colleges with automotive programs or anything related to careers in the auto industry, you can contact TADA at any time.
TADA & Ontario School Boards
The TADA also works at the secondary school level to promote the college programs that can lead to lifelong automotive careers.
Our Career Start brochures are distributed to guidance and student success offices at schools across the province. We also provide workshops and presentations to secondary school students about the many career paths they can explore with an automotive education. For TADA Education workshops please contact Dave Fraser: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 905 940-3017
We also work to establish and enhance co-op education opportunities with dealerships to provide secondary school students with valuable, on-the-job experience.
TADA participates in many career-planning events for secondary students across the province to help promote the automotive industry and the education programs that can lead to these exciting careers.